Skip to main content

The one with the basil

Last summer I purchased a basil plant. It lasted about a month before I went on vacation, forgot about it, and came home to a dead plant. A very dead plant. I threw it away.
Basil on left is not mine. Basil on right was mine.
Trust me. It was VERY dead.

This summer, I decided I'd do better. I'd be more intentional. I'd take better care of it.

{I probably should admit- last summer- I purchased the little plant and stuck it in a coffee cup. I didn't give it more soil. I didn't plant it. I just bought the plant and expected good things to come if I watered it.}

This summer, I bought the plant, I bought an actual pot, I bought more soil. I planted it into a bigger pot, gave it good soil, and watered it. I put it on my balcony where it would receive an ideal amount of sunlight.

This plant thrived. I'd made two batches of pesto. I watered it. I tended to it. Then I went on vacation. I came home to a withered basil plant. My first thought was "ugh, not again." But after realizing how much I'd invested in the plant already, I decided to give it some water and see what happened.

The next morning, I peeked out onto the balcony and saw my plant alive and well. Who knew!

I've continued to take care of this plant and now if the leaves get a little wilted, I water it and know that life will come.

Last month my boyfriend had come over and mentioned I needed to trim some of the plant. Not just pick the leaves to make pesto, but to cut back the leaves. He begins to chop. Not just a little bit, but huge chunks. I may or may not have freaked out a little on him. He chopped three stems when I yelled "Noooooo!" He said "this is good for it, Minda" and continued trimming. I finally caught my breath and said "ok, that's enough for now. Please. Stop." He would have kept going, but respecting my hyperventilation, he stopped.

I may have pet the plant and said "it's over! I promise." (That's just a rumor though.)

Two weeks later, I was sitting on my patio when I looked over at the plant and saw new, green life. The stems that had been chopped had regrown and were green. (As opposed to the yucky brown stems I'd evidently been trying to save.)  Green. Growth. Fresh. New.

I'm well aware that for thousands of years, people have been using the gardening/plant analogy in regards to the work Christ wants to do in our life. This is nothing new.

But when you've seen it first hand, it makes more sense.

Reminded today that He has invested much in me. Even gave His own Son for me.

He is not quick to throw me out, or to say I'm beyond help. Maybe sometimes I'm a little wilt-y and need some water. Maybe sometimes I'm REALLY wilt-y. Maybe sometimes I need some stems cut back. It will hurt. I'll hyperventilate. But I'll be ok, And new, green, fresh growth will come. Beautiful growth.

Growth is good.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ten. Years.

Grew up in a small town - And when the rain would fall down - I'd just stare out my window - Dreaming of what could be - And if I'd end up happy - I would pray Trying hard to reach out - But when I tried to speak out - Felt like no one could hear me - Wanted to belong here - But something felt so wrong here - So I prayed I could break away I'll spread my wings and I'll learn how to fly - I'll do what it takes til' I touch the sky - I'll make a wish - Take a chance - Make a change - And breakaway - Out of the darkness and into the sun - But I won't forget all the ones that I love - I'll take a risk - Take a chance - Make a change - And breakaway ( Kelly Clarkson, Breakaway ) 10 years ago, this month, I graduated from Prairiland High School. (And yes, I spelled that right- according to our school, anyways.) At times I can't really wrap my mind around that particular thought...Then at other times, it feels as though it could have been 20

Saturday Morning

I have a play list on my iPod titled "Saturday Morning Cleaning." When my sisters and I were growing up, Saturday morning was spent cleaning. No questions asked. Bottom line. Purple suit and all. Oh wait. You don't know about the purple suit. I'll explain further down. We'd get to sleep in until mom and dad deemed enough, at which point they would turn on the stereo system and play praise and worship music and come wake us up. Mom or dad would have cooked us a breakfast of either pancakes, eggs, waffles, bacon, or breakfast tacos (a treat, considering M-F was normally cereal, oatmeal, etc) and on the table would be "The List" Sometimes we'd get "The List" before breakfast and sometimes after. Because, really....who wants to ruin a perfectly good breakfast with "The List." (I have to interject, even as I'm writing this...I'm just remembering how incredible my childhood was. Seriously. I had the best childhood a

Opening a Conversation

I'd like to open a conversation with you. I've read 2 articles recently that have got me thinking. And a blog is one way to open a conversation that invites response, yes? So here goes. If you leave a comment- make sure to click the button that says "email follow up responses" so you can stay part of the convo. (I know, blogspot needs to get better about this, but for now- just click the box.) Here is article number 1: http://www.relevantmagazine.com/digital-issue/53?page=66 Here is article number 2: http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2011/09/27/why-young-christians-arent-waiting-anymore/ There is a new show coming up on TLC called something like "The Virgin Diaries" or something. I have to say. I've watched the preview clips and it is mortifying and embarrassing. If I were 15 and watching- I'd say "Find me the closest guy and let's get it on!" in attempts to not let that be my story. They have made the clips downright horrifyi